Interviews are vital events that can decide the fate of our professional aspirations, and also determine our future security and financial stability. No matter what kind of interview you are about to go for, it is always best to stay prepared. It is always good to be prepared and put the best of ourselves forward, to impact interviewers and company managers in the best way. On that note, let us look at some effective tips regarding interview do’s and dont’s from renowned educational consultant Justin Urbas. Read on to find out what to do, and what not to do for an effective interview.
Do’s For a Successful Interview
1. Always stay prepared with answers to the most common interview questions, as they are quite crucial to an interview’s outcome.
2. Dress appropriately and not in a way that brings unwanted attention to you. Stay properly groomed in regards to hair, facial hair and overall appearance.
3. Stay confident throughout the interview and try to make potential employers understand why you should be the chosen one.
4. Smile and shake hands firmly.
5. Maintain proper posture from the time you get in the door, to the time you leave.
6. Send a resume that accurately lists your actual skills, and is not falsified or fluffed up in anyway.
7. Stay calm and relaxed. Fidgety movements, shaky voices and weak handshakes are all negatively perceived.
8. Know basic information about the organization you have applied for, your job role and responsibilities.
9. It is always recommended to carry extra resumes and identity proof copies just in case they are needed.
10. Asking questions proactively about your job role, expectations, performance and organization is a good idea.
11. Stay prepared for strange and unrelated questions out of the blue.
12. An interview is about selling yourself and your talents, to win over the employer.
Interview Don’ts Which Can Harm Your Chances
1. Dressing inappropriately or in an unprofessional manner might make you lose, even before you’re in the door.
2. Shabby personal hygiene, unkempt hair, tattered clothes etc. might create negative impressions.
3. Don’t fluff up your resume while mentioning skills, as your lies will be exposed sometime in the future.
4. Never lie about your overall work experience as verifications can lead to embarrassment.
5. Bad breath and odor/smelly clothes are a strict no-no. If you can’t be sincere enough to take care of these, maybe you do not deserve the job.
6. Slouchy and unconfident posture must be avoided at all costs. Try to appear as confident as you possibly can.
7. Don’t be overconfident and don’t answer questions, or speak, in an arrogant manner. Interviewers can see right through your insecurities.
8. Don’t go to an interview without knowing about what the company does, and what they would hire you to do.
9. Don’t forget to keep your communication devices i.e. cell phones, tabs, etc. switched off or silent during an interview.
10. Don’t be unnecessarily nervous as there is no need to be. Either you get a job or you move on to the next interview.
11. Don’t ask for interviewer’s personal contact information or make them any offers i.e. night outs or drinks etc.
12. Don’t talk about sensitive personal or family related matters during an interview.
By following these simple interview do’s and don’ts, you can improve your chances of landing a job. Stay positive and excel your interview without worrying about the outcomes.