Maintaining a secure home is a possible challenge for many people as home invasions and burglary cases are still on the rise. If you have a hunch that your home does not have the right amount of security, it is time to act immediately. Preventing a possible incident is always the better option than coping with the consequences. Security consultant Justin Urbas has some valuable and practical tips that you can follow. These can help to maintain and improve your home security. Let’s have a look –
Simple Tips To Boost Home Security
1. Install a modern alarm system – An alarm system is the prerequisite of a safe and secure home. What is remarkable is, many homes are being broken into even with the presence of such systems. If your alarm system is outdated and lacks cutting-edge security features, it can be surpassed by criminals. Homeowners should get the latest alarm systems installed, and configure them with their portable communication devices.
2. Don’t keep key assets on display – Whether it’s art or sculptures, or a fancy sports car, it is always a good idea to keep certain things under cover. You do not want the scenario of a possible criminal scoping out possibilities, to nab what is dear to you. It is recommended that you do not give the grand tour of your home and property, if they seem like shady individuals. Trusting people can cost you.
3. Have certain people on speed dial – There are people who can help you restore, enhance and maintain your home’s security. This small but valuable list of contacts include the local police department, fire department and locksmiths. When your home is left unsecured or is subject to an emergency situation, they can help you out. A locksmith service which operates 24 hours is the best bet, to improve home security.
4. Know your neighbors – It is important to be aware of who lives in your immediate surroundings. Try to meet your neighbors during local events and gatherings. Be wary of those who seem particularly keen on about your property, assets or valuables. Also be careful of letting people you barely know in through the door.
5. Window locks are a must – One might think that an alarm system and sturdy door locking systems are enough to keep their home secure. But that is not the case. If a potential criminal knows that your windows are unsecured, they will exploit this vulnerability. An easy way of doing this is investing in shatterproof glass, and applying an additional security film to windows.
6. Get CCTV systems installed – This is a major step if you are looking to reinforce the security of your home. A modern CCTV system can be invaluable when it comes to stopping intruders and criminals. It is recommended that one installs many security cameras at key locations both inside and outside the house. This includes the garage, lawn, pool area (if any), and garden.
It is possible to monitor security cameras through your Android or iOS devices, via dedicated applications. You can keep an eye on your home, even when you are a thousand miles away.
7. Maintain the landscape – It is obviously a great idea to have some greenery around your house or on its approach. But one should keep in mind that these are possible hiding places for perpetrators. It is recommended that one keep their greenery within CCTV viewing angles, and trim any overgrown vegetation.
These are some key security tips that one can follow to improve home security. If you need advice regarding security, just get in touch with a reputed security consultant.